PhDChat – Australasia – Finding Money during PhD

Feb 3, 2012 by     No Comments    Posted under: phdchat

On 1st of February @thesiswhisperer organized the first Twitter live meetup in Australasia with #phdchat hashtag. The topic for that day was super important topic : Money - best tip for cash strapped PhD student.

From the whole discussion I found few tips very useful. Few people summarized it well:

@HelenHickson  My fav tips: 1. Follow the grant. 2 Teaching online. 3 Offer to help at conference for cheap fees. #phdchat

And for more details one here goes the list:

Save Money

@lindathestar: I asked the library to but a book I wanted instead of buying it myself, and they have. #phdchat

@halften make massive pots of food and freeze in single servings. Saves on ‘god I can’t be bothered’ pizza. #phdchat

@zaana  i tried to make all my mtgs/ appts on same days to limit transport costs & also more time efficient #phdchat

@RhythmicDeets Don’t be too proud to show your student card + ask for a student discount. May places will honour this, even for PT PhD Students. #PhDChat.

@musicforbabes  Best thing I learned tonight: Ask for a fee waiver/discount when traveling to os conferences. Brilliant. #phdchat

Earn Money

@thesiswhisperer  Sad – I know a few who drive taxis. But they say it is kind of relaxing #phdchat

@PJ_Weatherill @HelenHickson Your supervisor is the best start – but network with people in your uni research centres in related areas too #phdchat

@annascottpiano #phdchat casual acad work by convincing institutions 2 call the pay ‘reimbursement of travel expenses’. Local inst’s. seem happy to do this!

@AnujaCabraal @HelenHickson Research work unrelated to your discipline, but similar in methodology is also useful. It demonstrates diversity. #phdchat

@stealthpooch @HelenHickson I got the teaching job just by asking the uni, and writing jobs through proposals to journals (build a relationship) #phdchat

@RhythmicDeets Good ways for PhD’s to earn $$$ while progressing academic careers? 1.RA Work. 2.Teaching 3.Apply for Grants. 4.Scholarships #PhDChat

@pinniesp Hi, I’m on a 3yr T&R contract after 4 years of casual and sessional garbage-fun! General ad: b careful with sessional teaching Bc so much work&the $ is so bad. Research assistance: better $, more time for your research. How to get? Follow the grant $…! #phdchat

@jazzlinguist I did admin work – good for getting admin staff on your side as well as seeing the ‘non-academic’ side of uni. #phdchat

@thesiswhisperer My best top for finding casual academic work: get to know the other casuals. They often have more than they can do #phdchat

@jazzlinguist Proofread for international MA students. Good way to learn about a diff topic. Gotta be careful of editing/supervision boundary tho #phdchat

@stealthpooch @thesiswhisperer @lindathestar my school ‘pays’ RHD students in research expenses 4 sitting uni gallery. Paid 4 1000s of $ in books #phdchat

@AnujaCabraal @thesiswhisperer Don’t be afraid to cold call people and tell them you are interested in the area. I’ve had a lot of jobs that way #phdchat

@JoClyne1 I took up a part time job in the industry I was researching and did lots of volunteer work which turned into paid work. #phdchat

@halften A lot of uni ag departments have casual work at this time of year if you’re sciencey and don’t mind repetitive work (and free food) #phdchat

@RhythmicDeets Another way to earn $$$ is to offer marking services to help busy academics at the end of the Semester. #PhDChat

@RhythmicDeets The best advice I can offer all PhD students is BUDDY UP WITH THE ACADEMIC STAFF! There is almost always some paying work on offer. #PhDChat

@JoClyne1 Getting tutoring work is no longer a rite of passage for phd students as there is more competition. Look outside academia for work #phdchat

@RhythmicDeets Go along to ‘Shut Up & Write!’ groups – many Uni’s now host these. A great way to meet and buddy up with academics who have $$$. #PhDChat

@clairedavisonAU Late to the party, sorry if covered. It’s worth checking Uni EBA to see if there are Early Career fellowships available #phdchat

Scholarship / funding

@PJ_Weatherill @lindathestar statistically you have best chande of schoalrship success in second semester rounds #phdchat

@debyy found submitting articles for publication helpful in pushing my scholarship app over the line #phdchat

@PippiLongsock @debyy yeah, publications definitely boost your chance of scholarship #PhDchat

@lindathestar #phdchat I try to apply for conference scholarships too, so I can go to more.

@stephentang Tweeps on APAs: remember to get/submit med certs when sick. Sick leave days extend your paid scholarship term. Wish I knew earlier. #phdchat

@tpstudent @jazzlinguist @stephentang I know with an APA scholarship you can only take large blocks of sick leave (2weeks plus I think) #phdchat

@jazzlinguist Tip for making APA last: claim every delay in annual review so you can extend up to 6 months at the end. I felt too whiney. #phdchat

@stealthpooch I’ve received 2 OS conference scholarships (Venice 2009, Istanbul 2010). Trick is to apply. Oh and start application early #phdchat

@RhythmicDeets Another good tip… volunteer to help with conference organisation. This will usually ensure free entry to the conference. #PhDChat

Suggestions

@PJ_Weatherill: As ex FT academic now FT Phd I suggest research work rather than teaching – the semester timetables mean less weeks with pay #phdchat

@stealthpooch @thesiswhisperer two casual jobs: teaching during semester (great experience), and back up one outside of semester. #phdchat

@BoredPostdoc Also, if ur nearing end of PhD, don’t go part-time to work full-time for $$$. So many ppl I know who did never ended up finishing #phdchat

The whole meetup up 485 tweets

Twitter Handle
Date Time
thesiswhisperer Ok, fingers to the keyboard! I will mostly be replying to people, so if you want to see what’s going on, look at #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:00:39
lindathestar It’s quite different to be anticipating #phdchat in the evening at my desk instead of early morning under the covers 2/1/2012 9:00:51
thesiswhisperer @lyndonwalker of course! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:00:56
BoredPostdoc Gonna sit on the #phdchat tag for a while. Topic? Monies! It’s an important topic, especially when you have none. 2/1/2012 9:01:05
anzachistorian #phdchat Australia/New Zealand about to begin… 2/1/2012 9:01:36
debyy RT @thesiswhisperer: Ok, fingers to the keyboard! I will mostly be replying to people, so if you want to see what’s going on, look at #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:01:57
HelenHickson @lindathestar I used express scribe. It’s free, easy to use and quick. Well as quick as brain numbing transcription can be! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:01:58
thesiswhisperer Welcome to the Australian / NZ #phdchat. I’m wondering – what’s your best tip for cash strapped PhD students? 2/1/2012 9:02:03
thesiswhisperer @catspyjamasnz @mhawksey You’re a gem – thanks! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:02:48
ana_adi New Round of Newton International Fellowships (early career researchers for UK research) #phdchat http://t.co/vaZMdXja 2/1/2012 9:02:59
PJ_Weatherill As ex FT academic now FT Phd I suggest research work rather than teaching – the semester timetables mean less weeks with pay #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:03:25
thesiswhisperer @ana_adi timely – thanks :-) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:03:53
debyy #phdchat Australia & NZ is now kicking off – topic is money 2/1/2012 9:03:59
lindathestar I asked the library to but a book I wanted instead of buying it myself, and they have. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:04:38
ana_adi @thesiswhisperer not planned though. good luck! :) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:04:39
MsCastan RT @NSRiazat: Join @thesiswhisperer tonight at 8PM (Sydney time) for the first Australian/New Zealand #phdchat! Every 1st Wednesday of month. 2/1/2012 9:05:09
stealthpooch RT @thesiswhisperer: Welcome to the Australian / NZ #phdchat. I’m wondering – what’s your best tip for cash strapped PhD students? 2/1/2012 9:05:16
catspyjamasnz @thesiswhisperer not sure i have a tip. yet. just getting started and in a FT uni job. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:05:30
thesiswhisperer @HelenHickson welcome – I have only done one before, but they are fun #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:06:04
stealthpooch @thesiswhisperer two casual jobs: teaching during semester (great experience), and back up one outside of semester. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:06:22
catspyjamasnz @lindathestar agree. i’ve done this for other work books too. libraries usually happy to buy… #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:06:43
thesiswhisperer @BoredPostdoc How much time do you think a student should spend on ‘grunt work’? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:06:54
lyndonwalker I can think of at least one person I follow on twitter who waits tables because they don’t get sufficient uni support for their phd #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:07:02
PamojaUK RT @thesiswhisperer: “who gives a tweet?_ RT @savasavasava @TheAtlantic definitive, data-driven guide to being better at Twitter http://t.co/sgK3Jm2Q #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:07:17
iCANlove #phdchat goodmorning from London! Monies..! Cooking at home and taking packed lunch with me is currently saving me money! 2/1/2012 9:07:31
zaana @thesiswhisperer i tried to make all my mtgs/ appts on same days to limit transport costs & also more time efficient #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:07:37
lindathestar W/O a scholarship I have applied for many grants, hope to get one eventually. Subscribed to a scholarship list, mostly science, tho #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:07:41
HelenHickson @PJ_Weatherill great idea. Do you have any suggestions about where people can pick up this kind of work? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:07:57
thesiswhisperer @lindathestar good point – libraries often listen to PhD student book buying requests. never hurts to ask #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:07:58
BoredPostdoc Also, if ur nearing end of PhD, don’t go part-time to work full-time for $$$. So many ppl I know who did never ended up finishing #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:08:18
laurawhitburn @stealthpooch what type of work do you suggest for outside of semester? #Phdchat 2/1/2012 9:08:23
thesiswhisperer @lyndonwalker Sad – I know a few who drive taxis. But they say it is kind of relaxing #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:08:38
halften @thesiswhisperer make massive pots of food and freeze in single servings. Saves on ‘god I can’t be bothered’ pizza. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:08:41
melovell Ooh the #phdchat folks are #phdchatting. Yay! 2/1/2012 9:08:55
melovell Ooh the #phdchat folks are #phdchatting. Yay! 2/1/2012 9:08:55
PJ_Weatherill @HelenHickson Your supervisor is the best start – but network with people in your uni research centres in related areas too #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:09:19
HelenHickson @stealthpooch this sounds like a great idea, but where do you find these kind of jobs? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:09:23
annascottpiano #phdchat My visa stipulates I can’t work, as I’m technically ‘employed’ by my uni as a phd student. So I’ve managed to get paid for (cont) 2/1/2012 9:09:23
lindathestar @thesiswhisperer I like having my own professional library. http://t.co/WMK15eCT is great for finding the cheapest option #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:09:27
Stuart_Hepburn RT @ana_adi: New Round of Newton International Fellowships (early career researchers for UK research) #phdchat http://t.co/NCfdHg1K 2/1/2012 9:09:33
thesiswhisperer @zaana Excellent tip – also good for productivity. Block out times when you know you wont be writing #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:09:34
catspyjamasnz RT @halften: @thesiswhisperer make massive pots of food and freeze in single servings. <- gr8 tip for #phdchat singletons :-) 2/1/2012 9:09:38
lizith lurking on #phdchat while waking up and having my morning cuppa :) 2/1/2012 9:09:58
lyndonwalker A number also multi-sessional. I have seen CVs with simultaneous sessional work and 3 or 4 different unis #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:10:01
thesiswhisperer @halften and “I can’t be bothered” kilos I’d imagine! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:10:11
bjkraal My boss and I try to get our phd students RA work to supplement their scholarships. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:10:12
BoredPostdoc @thesiswhisperer Depends on how much longer ur prepared to let ur PhD drag out. Supervisors will let it drag on to get cheap labour #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:10:20
annaegardner @thesiswhisperer Just starting 2nd year and trying to decide whether to try and find research work or more social hospitality #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:10:23
waginski Without 1st class honours/masters I’ve found financial support hard to come by. I still work part time in unrelated area #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:10:57
HelenHickson @zaana and the vegetables that come with instant noodles count as one serve. Right? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:10:57
PJ_Weatherill @lindathestar statistically you have best chande of schoalrship success in second semester rounds #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:11:04
thesiswhisperer If you are using the new twitter web interface for #phdchat, remember to click the ‘all’ option, not the ‘top’ one. You’ll see more 2/1/2012 9:11:04
lindathestar @lizith Good morning Liz! Welcome. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:11:18
ai1sa @PJ_Weatherill good to know :) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:11:26
RHUL_Library RT @britishlibrary: A few places on our free open day for history PhDs on 10 Feb. Email highereducation@bl.uk for more #lovehe #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:11:46
annascottpiano #phdchat casual acad work by convincing institutions 2 call the pay ‘reimbursement of travel expenses’. Local inst’s. seem happy to do this! 2/1/2012 9:11:52
AnujaCabraal @HelenHickson Research work unrelated to your discipline, but similar in methodology is also useful. It demonstrates diversity. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:11:58
stealthpooch @HelenHickson I got the teaching job just by asking the uni, and writing jobs through proposals to journals (build a relationship) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:12:17
thesiswhisperer @waginski many students, including myself, have this problem. Sometimes unis offer special scholarships based on PhD performance #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:12:31
BoredPostdoc @waginski That’s always going to be the case. Scholarships are on academic merit and EXTREMELY competitive b/c of limited funding #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:12:41
lizith @lindathestar thanks for the welcome Linda #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:12:57
lindathestar @PJ_Weatherill Thanks, useful tip #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:13:00
thesiswhisperer @PJ_Weatherill @lindathestar great tip – I can vouch for that too. I got my scholarship on third attempt #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:13:00
Nicky_Garland Interesting to be sitting here waking up with a cup of tea while looking at #phdchat rather than winding down with a beer! 2/1/2012 9:13:12
pinniesp Hi, I’m on a 3yr T&R contract after 4 years of casual and sessional garbage-fun! General ad: b careful with sessional teaching 1/2 #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:13:15
musicforbabes My tip is to put your hand up for *everything* that comes along in your dept. RA work? Me! Teaching? Me! Full-time position? Me! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:13:16
thesiswhisperer @lizith hi Liz *waves teacup* #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:13:21
stephentang With p/t research jobs, beware of mental costs of task switching/blurring/creep: better to do something unrelated to uni/thesis? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:13:29
PippiLongsock @AnujaCabraal @HelenHickson Oooh, good tip! #PhDchat 2/1/2012 9:14:00
rellypops @stealthpooch @helenhickson I picked up work through my supervisor ….#phdchat 2/1/2012 9:14:04
lizith @thesiswhisperer *waves* back and spills tea on keyboard and frantically searches for tissues to wipe it up :) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:14:19
AnujaCabraal What about research or teaching related work outside of the university such as in-house research for an organisation or institute? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:14:45
BoredPostdoc When there are students with 1st class Hons/Masters that still miss out on APA’s/IPRS scholarships…Be fair #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:14:47
lindathestar @thesiswhisperer @PJ_Weatherill Thanx for the encouragement. I’ll persist then. It gets disheartening after a while. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:14:50
RhythmicDeets Good ways for PhD’s to earn $$$ while progressing academic careers? 1.RA Work. 2.Teaching 3.Apply for Grants. 4.Scholarships #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:14:51
anzachistorian Suggestions of research assistant work on #phdchat. Thinking outside the tutoring box. 2/1/2012 9:15:05
waginski @thesiswhisperer but performance also linked to how much time you have to spend on PhD outside of family/work #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:15:13
ai1sa my concern is balancing the work life (FT) and fitting in the phd around this #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:15:13
thesiswhisperer @bjkraal It’s good to know that – some academics think students will be ‘too busy’ if they give them work #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:15:29
melovell I was thankful for phd scholarship. Sadly, it ran out before I finished writing thesis. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:15:33
catspyjamasnz @RhythmicDeets @thesiswhisperer having never gotten a grant, where do you even start? #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:15:39
debyy found submitting articles for publication helpful in pushing my scholarship app over the line #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:15:41
Mabel_XYX RT @RhythmicDeets: Good ways for PhD’s to earn $$$ while progressing academic careers? 1.RA Work. 2.Teaching 3.Apply for Grants. 4.Scholarships #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:15:46
witty_knitter @musicforbabes Problem with this is that you’ll come under pressure to make progress after a while. Best to be strategic #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:16:02
pinniesp 2/2 Bc so much work&the $ is so bad. Research assistance: better $, more time for your research. How to get? Follow the grant $…! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:16:06
lyndonwalker Networking for work or stumbling across it… btw … if anyone knows anyone after sessional statistics tutoring PM me #phdchat #notsubtle 2/1/2012 9:16:10
thesiswhisperer @AnujaCabraal you do this kind of work don’t you? Any ideas about how to break into it? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:16:12
BoredPostdoc @musicforbabes I disagree. If you say yes to everything, your PhD can drag on forever. Be discerning. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:16:23
JoClyne1 I already had a teaching qualification, so I did substitute teaching during my phd. It paid well and gave valuable experience. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:16:25
lindathestar @ai1sa Hi, good to see you. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:16:34
rellypops @thesiswhisperer I also do some casual s sch teaching….previous life so had qualifications that allowed me to. Good last min wk #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:16:36
jazzlinguist I did admin work – good for getting admin staff on your side as well as seeing the ‘non-academic’ side of uni. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:16:56
lconnelly09 RT @thesiswhisperer: My best top for finding casual academic work: get to know the other casuals. They often have more than they can do #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:16:59
PJ_Weatherill @lindathestar You can get more “publications” by freelance writing – many of which are paid. Write on your topic for the masses. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:17:02
lconnelly09 RT @thesiswhisperer: If you are using the new twitter web interface for #phdchat, remember to click the ‘all’ option, not the ‘top’ one. You’ll see more 2/1/2012 9:17:08
waginski @BoredPostdoc I think there should be some funding aside for phders with family/work commitments #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:17:08
thesiswhisperer @melovell it’s a common story – part of the problem with APAs here is that they are only 3 years when the degree is 4 #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:17:08
HelenHickson @musicforbabes Ha! I’ve heard that advice before. Be VERY helpful, to everyone. Its a challenge to balance with phd but, good exp #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:17:14
PippiLongsock @debyy yeah, publications definitely boost your chance of scholarship #PhDchat 2/1/2012 9:17:18
lindathestar #phdchat I try to apply for conference scholarships too, so I can go to more. 2/1/2012 9:17:32
HelenHickson @Nicky_Garland Cheers! I’m glad to be the one here winding down with a glass of wine. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:18:02
ai1sa My uni (NZ Akld) offers marking to phd students #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:18:06
debyy RT @PJ_Weatherill: @lindathestar You can get more “publications” by freelance writing – many of which are paid. Write on your topic for the masses. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:18:20
PerthResearcher @stephentang good point! This is what I am doing. Keeps mental energy for topic. #PhDchat 2/1/2012 9:18:35
thesiswhisperer @waginski @BoredPostdoc I have been agitating for scholarships for part timers with government types. No luck so far #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:18:37
PJ_Weatherill @lyndonwalker pop a sign up in the psych corridors of your nui for 1st year students!
#phdchat
2/1/2012 9:18:39
BoredPostdoc @waginski I disagree. I think it should be merit based. But to each their own I suppose. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:18:45
ai1sa @Nicky_Garland yes Nick, an absence of wk life balance is my permanent state #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:18:49
RhythmicDeets @catspyjamasnz Get to know the academics who will share info + apply for EVERY GRANT feasible. You don’t need a PhD to win a grant. #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:19:11
jazzlinguist Proofread for international MA students. Good way to learn about a diff topic. Gotta be careful of editing/supervision boundary tho #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:19:14
stealthpooch @thesiswhisperer @lindathestar my school ‘pays’ RHD students in research expenses 4 sitting uni gallery. Paid 4 1000s of $ in books #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:19:15
lyndonwalker I agree with @BoredPostdoc about being discerning. I lectured FT, phded FT, did consulting, private tutoring & more It takes a toll #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:19:16
thesiswhisperer @PJ_Weatherill writing newspaper opinion pieces is a good place to start – key is currency of topic #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:19:47
HelenHickson @ai1sa I agree – me too. I am prone to distractions, procrastination and shiny objects! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:20:02
thesiswhisperer @ai1sa Hi – it’s getting a bit frantic in here and I didn’t see you there :-) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:20:16
lindathestar @PJ_Weatherill I have a folder in my Endnote library for my publications & media. Not all ‘academic’ but on topic. Only one paid #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:20:23
RhythmicDeets @catspyjamasnz I have won several grants and then paid a Research Assistant to help me with my PhD Research. Win win! #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:20:32
PJ_Weatherill @lindathestar Managed to get travel paid for too?
#phdchat
2/1/2012 9:20:34
melovell Actually I know a lot of people who had to quit working to make any proper phd progress. Do we work too much? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:20:39
witty_knitter @thesiswhisperer funding for Part-timers – don’t start me! I wish there were. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:20:49
AnujaCabraal @thesiswhisperer Don’t be afraid to cold call people and tell them you are interested in the area. I’ve had a lot of jobs that way #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:20:51
stealthpooch @thesiswhisperer @melovell so true. My 3.5 years of APA ends next week, but I’ll be submitting May (eek) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:20:55
catspyjamasnz @RhythmicDeets a friend works at NZ uni and her job is help write research grant proposals… wish i cld find equivalent @deakin #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:20:59
ai1sa I have had lecturer friends who went PT during phd studies, but when the phd crashed, they could not get FT work again #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:21:01
HelenHickson @pinniesp Aha – I hadn’t thought of that (follow the grant). That might work for me. Thanks #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:21:06
thesiswhisperer @stealthpooch really? What a great idea! I wonder how many other unis have spare gigs of this type for PhD students? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:21:07
lindathestar @PJ_Weatherill Not yet! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:21:14
JoClyne1 I took up a part time job in the industry I was researching and did lots of volunteer work which turned into paid work. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:21:15
debyy @ai1sa I did marking & would recommend it as its something you can do pretty much in your own time I.e when your head hurts #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:21:18
thesiswhisperer @melovell I think many people find, at a certain point, that they can’t get the space they need to think when they work fulltime #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:21:51
lyndonwalker Haha, on-topic twitter spam “are you tired of never having enough money” … #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:21:51
jazzlinguist I tell myself when I have $ one day I’ll set up a scholarship for PhD students to attend conferences. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:21:59
catspyjamasnz RT @RhythmicDeets: @catspyjamasnz I won several grants and then paid Research Assistant to help w Research. Win win! #PhDChat <- total win 2/1/2012 9:22:04
Glenda_C_ What about new students who come in not knowing anyone and are told it will take months to process their scholarships?#phdchat 2/1/2012 9:22:09
thesiswhisperer @JoClyne1 really? That’s a great idea too. Wow – this #phdchat session is turning up some really useful ideas. 2/1/2012 9:23:09
catspyjamasnz @witty_knitter nope. me too. work FT. phd parttime. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:23:10
ai1sa if u r Akld based wanting marking of health faculty students 1st year coursework DM me #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:23:30
tassie_gal @Glenda_C_ You just described my phd experience in a nutshell #phdchat PS sorry I’m late! 2/1/2012 9:23:37
halften A lot of uni ag departments have casual work at this time of year if you’re sciencey and don’t mind repetitive work (and free food) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:24:00
nicoleastephen I work a lot by telling everyone that i want work but find it really difficult to maintain momentum on my phd #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:24:05
thesiswhisperer @Glenda_C_ that’s a really difficult position. Most unis have careers centres, but I have not had much luck with them in the past #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:24:06
PippiLongsock @pinniesp at my uni it is mainly based on academic merit – generally first class or distinctions. Pubs help if you don’t have that #PhDchat 2/1/2012 9:24:23
ai1sa @witty_knitter no i am also =FT and PT phd, very slow though #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:24:23
melovell In retrospect I would have done less volunteer work, more paid work. I’ve always been a sucker for a cause. ;-) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:24:34
stealthpooch @thesiswhisperer not sure, but it’s benefited my research immensely. It’s paid 4 travel, books, printer ink, internet, software… #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:24:41
jodietrembath @RhythmicDeets @catspyjamasnz I didn’t know you could have a research assistant when you’re doing a PhD. Do all unis allow that? #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:24:45
lindathestar #phdchat During Masters I got project work on the same topic, win:win for lit review & consistent head space. 2/1/2012 9:24:45
BoredPostdoc @Glenda_C_ The university should never let PhD’s enrol without confirmed funding. This has been policy everywhere I’ve worked #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:24:51
witty_knitter There is a myth that part-time students don’t need support, because of course they all have great jobs. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:24:57
Lozzz123 I did some private tutoring for an undergrad at a different university, that way it’s not ethically dodgy but good $$ – #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:25:03
andanin #phdchat sorry guys, running a tad late :( 2/1/2012 9:25:14
thesiswhisperer @jazzlinguist we have a travel scholarship @rmit for research students. It is massively popular #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:25:19
tassie_gal @thesiswhisperer @glenda_c_ in my experience career centres don’t know what to do with Phd Students. They are a dept. problem #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:25:29
_JamesFarrell @jazzlinguist Are there (m)any external opportunities for this type of funding? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:25:33
Glenda_C_ @RhythmicDeets good option but it can be hard to compete with some offshore services #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:25:51
JoClyne1 Try not to take on any work which won’t help you work towards your post-phd goals. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:26:26
andanin @witty_knitter I did first 12 months part-time while working full-time at a bar. Was a nightmare, little support other than super #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:26:26
stealthpooch @melovell @thesiswhisperer it still means 3 months without a scholarship though! At least semester starts in Feb, which = teaching #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:26:38
RhythmicDeets Another way to earn $$$ is to offer marking services to help busy academics at the end of the Semester. #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:26:40
AnujaCabraal @Glenda_C_ Network. Call & meet people researching areas of interest to you. Many have work but want someone interested in the area #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:26:42
catspyjamasnz @witty_knitter my first costs are coming up at the moment: books. will turn to library for as much as i can… #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:26:48
Harry_Criticos I’m p/t and do casual work only because partner and I have swapped roles. It is tough but I try to look to a positive end result #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:26:49
thesiswhisperer @andanin there’s a fair bit of scroll back :-) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:26:50
ai1sa Ive been really impressed with what Deakin offer me in financial support for conferences and books #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:26:58
laurawhitburn Planning on taking on a heavy teaching load (casual) and then focussing 100% on phd during non-teaching periods.. #Phdchat 2/1/2012 9:27:04
anzachistorian @jazzlinguist Oh, conference scholarship a great idea. Finding money for the ‘extras’ – like conferences – that most hurts me. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:27:06
jazzlinguist @thesiswhisperer Jealousy. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:27:25
andanin @ai1sa Lucky! I’m with Deakin, had to fight for support, went external for sship & most travel so far #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:27:40
melovell @stealthpooch @thesiswhisperer Yeah, that’s the tough bit. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:27:54
jazzlinguist @_JamesFarrell In my experience they’re limited by a) discipline b) destination c) research not conferences. All excluded me. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:28:03
thesiswhisperer @tassie_gal I know of 3 specialists in career counselling for PhD students in the whole country – and one of them just quit :-( #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:28:17
tassie_gal I marked and wrote exams,taught, I tried to run an interdepartmental think tank, and I worked at a Self storage facility. #phdChat 2/1/2012 9:28:28
RhythmicDeets The best advice I can offer all PhD students is BUDDY UP WITH THE ACADEMIC STAFF! There is almost always some paying work on offer. #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:28:30
orientalhotel I had to travel a lot for my phd research, meant I had to self fund conferences. Funded them w. marking money mostly #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:28:31
catspyjamasnz @andanin so where did you start, externally? how did you find out about options? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:28:34
jazzlinguist @anzachistorian It’s such a valuable experience too! Find out what you can get through uni from supervisor/pg coord. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:28:44
jasmine_z @thesiswhisperer mix of tutoring and getting a research assistant job with a sup with an ARC grant! they are more generous.#phdchat 2/1/2012 9:29:12
musicforbabes @witty_knitter Ft academic job + pt phd (following my “yes to everything” strategy.) Those I worked for were on selection panel. ;) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:29:27
jazzlinguist My uni had money prizes for #3MT competition so I won $1000 for conference travel. Course, can’t get far in Oz for $1000. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:29:32
tassie_gal @laurawhitburn be careful with that, you can get very distracted (been there got the t-shirt) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:29:33
JoClyne1 Getting tutoring work is no longer a rite of passage for phd students as there is more competition. Look outside academia for work #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:29:45
PJ_Weatherill @RhythmicDeets and just hang around in corridors chatting and saying “pick me” :-) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:29:47
MeganJMcPherson @ai1sa at Monash =grant allowance that you can access esp for travel conferences etc @phdchat 2/1/2012 9:30:05
orientalhotel One good tip I got re schools was don’t discount little ones, a few little ones can add up to enough for what you want #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:30:12
victoriandotage Thinking abt work/life division. Mine is v strict. How much of your ‘spare’ time do you spend doing work-related reading/thinking? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:30:19
thesiswhisperer @RhythmicDeets second that – when you are on ‘the other side’ you realise what an amazing asset those PhD skills are #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:30:24
annaegardner #phdchat Seems my school is as badly off as I am – no more casual post-grad tutoring because they can’t afford it = no experience for me. 2/1/2012 9:30:35
ai1sa Ive been blessed by site of my study =not for profit that put my name forward for a conference, & cathay pacific funded flights #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:30:36
stephentang Tweeps on APAs: remember to get/submit med certs when sick. Sick leave days extend your paid scholarship term. Wish I knew earlier. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:30:39
tassie_gal @thesiswhisperer There is a MASSIVE need. Departments don’t have a clue, and students brains are dead after PhD #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:30:45
jazzlinguist @RhythmicDeets And stay on the right side of the finance people – they’ll let you know when there’s opportunities to claim for $! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:30:47
debyy RT @stephentang: Tweeps on APAs: remember to get/submit med certs when sick. Sick leave days extend your paid scholarship term. Wish I knew earlier. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:31:51
elebelfiore @BoredPostdoc I meant re: professional anxieties e.g. Pressures to bring in external funding: essential 4 career progression in uk #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:32:01
PJ_Weatherill @stephentang GREAT Advice! Never thought of that. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:32:06
thesiswhisperer @victoriandotage #phdchat studies show that more than spending more than 40 hours a week on your PhD gives diminishing returns. 2/1/2012 9:32:09
RhythmicDeets RT @PJ_Weatherill: @RhythmicDeets and just hang around in corridors chatting and saying “pick me” :-) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:32:34
ai1sa @stephentang comment on annual review anything thats slowed it down even if havent taken intermission. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:32:56
andanin @catspyjamasnz Lots of web searches! Was hard, 15 aps for 1 hit. I’m now very good at grant writing despite still in PhD #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:33:13
jazzlinguist @stephentang Does this include colds, migraines and everyday sickdays? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:33:19
anzachistorian My first semester of tutoring a great experience. Money didn’t match the time and effort. More useful for CV building? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:33:22
tassie_gal @lindathestar I never was eligible for any Centrelink stuff..its frustrating #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:33:25
stealthpooch @stephentang me too. It wasn’t until second year that I found out that sick leave extended your time. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:33:25
thesiswhisperer @stephentang excellent advice. Most will offer indefinite medical leave too if you find yourself afflicted by illness #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:33:41
kraontheroads RT @thesiswhisperer: @victoriandotage #phdchat studies show that more than spending more than 40 hours a week on your PhD gives diminishing returns. 2/1/2012 9:33:56
andanin @ai1sa I got lucky there, my s’ship gave me enough to do 1, supervisor scraped together funds to go to another next year #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:33:58
catspyjamasnz RT @thesiswhisperer: @victoriandotage #phdchat studies show spending 40 hrs+ a wk on PhD = diminishing returns <- hear that @cristinacost? 2/1/2012 9:34:07
RhythmicDeets While academic work may not be the best $$$ for PhD students, it is good experience if you are serious about an academic career. #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:34:21
tassie_gal @ai1sa @stephentang Mention ANYTHING during you annual review which has been problematic. It is a life saver #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:34:25
stephentang @jazzlinguist As long as you have a valid medical certificate, I’d say so. I think it’s 10 days sick leave/year (which accumulates) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:34:36
ai1sa RT @tassie_gal: @ai1sa @stephentang Mention ANYTHING during you annual review which has been problematic. It is a life saver #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:34:38
orientalhotel @anzachistorian Definitely in my experience, but worth being assertive about tutoring contract, don’t let yrself be too exploited #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:34:51
MeganJMcPherson @thesiswhisperer @victoriandotage #PhDchat very important one to remember!! 2/1/2012 9:34:54
lindathestar @tassie_gal If enrolled part time you might be. Always worth asking. Low income card is handy too. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:34:54
thesiswhisperer @ai1sa also, if you’re traveling to a conf overseas point out the Australian distance factor. Occasionally they will waive fees. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:35:07
Nicky_Garland RT @thesiswhisperer: @victoriandotage #phdchat studies show that more than spending more than 40 hours a week on your PhD gives diminishing returns. 2/1/2012 9:35:22
Glenda_C_ @RhythmicDeets @thesiswhisperer academics always have work to be done! Perseverance and hard work will pay off and be recognized #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:35:28
BoredPostdoc @elebelfiore I’m lucky to be in a field where there is currently a fair bit of external industry money floating around #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:35:37
andanin @lindathestar True of many professions, partner just finished M.Architecture, Centrelink no idea what to do with him #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:35:40
tassie_gal a good GP is essential during a PhD – not just for medical certs. They can fight for you if the Uni is being annoying. (mine did) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:35:40
JoClyne1 Managing phd and work is hard, but at least you won’t have a 4 year hole in your cv when you finish #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:35:44
ai1sa @thesiswhisperer never even thought of that, must try it, living at the end of the world #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:35:52
tpstudent @jazzlinguist @stephentang I know with an APA scholarship you can only take large blocks of sick leave (2weeks plus I think) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:35:57
thesiswhisperer @anzachistorian I once worked out that I was really being paid $17 an hour for my casual lecturing and tutoring work… #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:36:10
BoredPostdoc The only reason I’m even still living in Australia is because I have funding here. Otherwise I would have left #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:36:10
andanin RT @thesiswhisperer: @victoriandotage #phdchat studies show that more than spending more than 40 hours a week on your PhD gives diminishing returns. 2/1/2012 9:36:31
lindathestar @thesiswhisperer @ai1sa Really? Useful to know. Never hurts to ask. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:36:43
tassie_gal @lindathestar I wasn’t and and didn’t have one (owning own house is problem!) However now in past, I am a real academic now! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:36:52
stealthpooch I’ve received 2 OS conference scholarships (Venice 2009, Istanbul 2010). Trick is to apply. Oh and start application early #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:36:52
RhythmicDeets Don’t be too proud to show your student card + ask for a student discount. May places will honour this, even for PT PhD Students. #PhDChat. 2/1/2012 9:37:18
BoredPostdoc @elebelfiore Bearing in mind I am 100% industry funded. I have money, but it has its restrictions re: publication etc. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:37:25
AnujaCabraal @annaegardner What about going to another university for work? That’s what I did for a while. I called them & sent an application. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:37:55
thesiswhisperer @ai1sa Other top conference funding tip: offer to help out with mustering. Great way to meet people and often will waive fees #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:38:03
andanin @tassie_gal @ai1sa @stephentang too right! I bought up having to travel home a lot for bro’s illness, helped a lot #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:38:12
stealthpooch look outside the uni for conference/research funding. The peak body in your area of work should have ‘opportunity’ e-newsletters #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:38:29
waginski @BoredPostdoc yes I see your point. I don’t know if ‘miss out’ is correct though. Maybe cld at ratio of parent to non-parent 1/2 #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:38:35
lindathestar @tassie_gal Congratulations. I’m looking forward to that. #phdchat Funny how system supports landlords not home owners 2/1/2012 9:38:54
stephentang @tpstudent @jazzlinguist You’re right- APA rules specify that term only extended for 10+ days leave up to 12 weeks with med cert #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:38:58
RhythmicDeets Time for some humour! :) http://t.co/rQavjUPP #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:39:12
thesiswhisperer @tpstudent depends – pays to read the fine print of the scholarship. I managed to work more hours because my super agreed #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:39:22
waginski @BoredPostdoc or working from necessity phders and set aside an according amount of the available funds? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:39:41
jasmine_z #phdchat what does everyone think about taking up internships? I’m in the economics field. I know of some internships that pay really well. 2/1/2012 9:39:43
RhythmicDeets RT @Glenda_C_: @RhythmicDeets @thesiswhisperer academics always have work to be done! Perseverance and hard work will pay off and be recognized #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:39:59
melovell A friend of mine had terrible exp. with external funding of scholarship. They tried to prevent publication from her phd. Worth it? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:40:00
stealthpooch @thesiswhisperer @ai1sa the conferences I’ve attended have offered fee waivers for students if they chair sessions #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:40:11
tassie_gal @andanin @ai1sa @stephentang My annual reviews always seemed tainted by death. Thankfully my reviews were always short due to it! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:40:13
thesiswhisperer @AnujaCabraal @annaegardner working at another university also advantage in expanding your contacts #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:40:15
andanin @AnujaCabraal @annaegardner everyone in my lab but me has external work. I gave up work due to burnout #regret #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:40:41
thesiswhisperer RT @RhythmicDeets: Time for some humour! :) http://t.co/rQavjUPP #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:40:45
PJ_Weatherill @thesiswhisperer I do a little more as I argued the unit I was teaching related to my topic too. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:40:55
andanin RT @thesiswhisperer: @ai1sa Other top conference funding tip: offer to help out with mustering. Great way to meet people and often will waive fees #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:40:58
bjkraal RT @RhythmicDeets: The best advice I can offer all PhD students is BUDDY UP WITH THE ACADEMIC STAFF! There is almost always some paying work on offer. #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:41:03
tassie_gal @lindathestar Don’t get me started_NEVER was eligible even during undergrad. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:41:04
kraontheroads @RhythmicDeets :) #phdchat … one of us could start selling this kind of t-shirts and earn his/her income that way 2/1/2012 9:41:10
BoredPostdoc @waginski The problem is the pool of available funds doesn’t usually stretch very far in the first place, but I agree in principle #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:41:23
catspyjamasnz RT @BronwynHinz: @thesiswhisperer @ai1sa had conf fees waived in exchange for volunteering during conf, even for $3000conf! #phdchat <- nice 2/1/2012 9:41:38
sjsmith2000 Reading these tweets reminds me of the experience #PhDchat 2/1/2012 9:41:52
RhythmicDeets Another good tip… volunteer to help with conference organisation. This will usually ensure free entry to the conference. #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:41:52
WorcesterGRS RT @britishlibrary: A few places on our free open day for history PhDs on 10 Feb. Email highereducation@bl.uk for more #lovehe #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:42:08
stealthpooch @tassie_gal the uni doctors at UTAS are used to phd candidates. Apparently we get sick more frequently than other students (; #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:42:10
tassie_gal @thesiswhisperer @anujacabraal @annaegardner What about places with small academic communities? i.e. Tassie? (@stealthpooch ) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:42:12
andanin @melovell #phdchat you’ve just reminded me to contact my funding agency re: my two papers going to pub, oops 2/1/2012 9:42:13
thesiswhisperer @jasmine_z I’m all for work experience. I think internships are a great idea as you can explore new areas. Most badly paid though #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:42:15
BoredPostdoc @melovell This was my situation during PhD, and still situation during 4 yrs postdoc’ing. It’s the sacrifice you make for $$$ #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:42:25
jazzlinguist Tip for making APA last: claim every delay in annual review so you can extend up to 6 months at the end. I felt too whiney. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:42:34
stephentang @jasmine_z I took 3mths leave to do unpaid internship with WHO. Led to paid consultancy: experience/CV win but still out of pocket! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:42:56
BoredPostdoc @melovell It’s not a fun place to be, but employers usually understand in my experience #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:43:27
thesiswhisperer @andanin @AnujaCabraal @annaegardner sometimes you have to do the time/stress/money calculation and just kick back a bit I reckon #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:43:28
tassie_gal @stealthpooch Mike Welch in Collins St and I almost had a standing appointment at one stage. I <3 him to pieces. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:43:35
melovell @BoredPostdoc Ouch. Sorry to hear it. That is not a fun place to be. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:43:46
JoClyne1 So important to find the right balance between work and study so that you can deal with any unexpected issues that might arise. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:43:52
MeganJMcPherson @thesiswhisperer @anujacabraal @annaegardner working at other uni got me a MEd scholarship & then phd candidature #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:44:00
HelenHickson @RhythmicDeets I hadn’t thought of that – it’s a great idea and I will try it. Thanks! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:44:08
thesiswhisperer I can’t believe #phdchat has only 15 minutes to go! Such fun! 2/1/2012 9:44:10
lindathestar #phdchat Lovely to talk, I’m off for a walk before it gets dark. A great start, thanks @thesiswhisperer for getting us going. 2/1/2012 9:44:18
ai1sa @tassie_gal ur not alone #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:44:48
jazzlinguist I have an idea for PhD-related merch! #phdchat #money #notentirelyserious #notentirelyjoking 2/1/2012 9:44:58
RhythmicDeets Go along to ‘Shut Up & Write!’ groups – many Uni’s now host these. A great way to meet and buddy up with academics who have $$$. #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:45:24
stealthpooch @tassie_gal @thesiswhisperer @anujacabraal @annaegardner so true. Not many options when you only have one uni in the state #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:45:44
thesiswhisperer @stephentang I hear you. Most of my life I feel like I have been ‘Information rich’ but cash poor… #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:45:48
ai1sa am in aussie as of the 14th, Deakin pays for me to come to summer school :) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:46:09
catspyjamasnz @RhythmicDeets i’m starting a Shut Up & Write at @deakin . but others are just as poor…. #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:46:22
thesiswhisperer @RhythmicDeets shut up and write is a lovely coffee donation zone #phdchat :-) 2/1/2012 9:46:28
jazzlinguist Wow #phdchat is trending in Australia. #predictabletweet #someonehadtotweetit #apologetichashtags 2/1/2012 9:46:38
debyy This f/time student/single mum has to get kid to bed so thanks everyone for your great suggestions #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:46:44
andanin @catspyjamasnz Ohoh, which campus? I’ve been thinking of doing the same! #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:46:45
catspyjamasnz @andanin Burwood #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:46:59
interactivate This may be rare but I feel guilty crying poor as I’m really not – due to partner’s support #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:47:02
BronwynHinz me too RT @thesiswhisperer @stephentang I hear you. Most of my life I feel like I have been ‘Information rich’ but cash poor… #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:47:05
thesiswhisperer @stealthpooch @tassie_gal @anujacabraal @annaegardner have you tried teaching online? Surprising number of opportunities #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:47:13
jasmine_z #phdchat this is random. but, anyone here in Canberra? 2/1/2012 9:47:23
donmacca Coming in very later to #phdchat. Great to see so many good ideas for such a painful process! 2/1/2012 9:47:35
andanin @catspyjamasnz Bummer, I’m Waurn Ponds. Oh well, non-hostal takeover Deakin wide! #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:47:36
thesiswhisperer @catspyjamasnz @RhythmicDeets I’m thinking of asking Pearson and Murphy’s to sponsor us since we are a tourist attraction :-) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:47:55
clairedavisonAU Late to the party, sorry if covered. It’s worth checking Uni EBA to see if there are Early Career fellowships available #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:48:02
AnujaCabraal @tassie_gal @thesiswhisperer @annaegardner @stealthpooch What about working for a related organisation? I do that as well & like it #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:48:06
tassie_gal does anyone want to come do a shut up and write in Lithgow with me? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:48:21
BronwynHinz @thesiswhisperer @stealthpooch @tassie_gal @anujacabraal @annaegardner great idea! I presume more family friendly too? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:48:24
RhythmicDeets OMG we got #PhDChat trending in Australia! YEAH! :) 2/1/2012 9:48:30
kraontheroads @thesiswhisperer can you give some more insights on online teaching? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:48:31
stephentang @jasmine_z I’m at ANU too! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:48:54
annaegardner @thesiswhisperer @stealthpooch @tassie_gal @anujacabraal Really don’t feel confident just wading into teaching w/out training… #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:49:02
thesiswhisperer Hey – we actually got #phdchat trending in Australia?! High five everyone! 2/1/2012 9:49:02
catspyjamasnz @andanin could establish common processes (ie steal @thesiswhisperer’s)/ do common promotion? #PhDChat @Deakin 2/1/2012 9:49:05
ai1sa anyone for a geelong shutupand write 15-19th? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:49:07
melovell @jasmine_z Yes, in Canberra. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:49:07
witty_knitter @interactivate partner financial support is a whole issue in itself. I have a lot from mine, even thou I’m working she helps out. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:49:19
tassie_gal @thesiswhisperer I could have done internet tutoring for my old MSc Alma Mater, but time zone logistics were horrid #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:49:26
stephentang RT @RhythmicDeets: OMG we got #PhDChat trending in Australia! YEAH! :) 2/1/2012 9:49:38
PJ_Weatherill @kraontheroads $ not as good as on campus however you don’t have to travel!
#phdchat
2/1/2012 9:49:45
elebelfiore @BoredPostdoc Money always comes with strings attached – only in the Humanities it doesn’t seem to come at all! ;-) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:49:45
AnujaCabraal @thesiswhisperer @andanin @annaegardner Very true. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:49:46
RhythmicDeets @thesiswhisperer Good idea! I’ve made the pilgrimage twice in the last 6 months! :) #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:49:58
melovell No way! Awesome. RT @RhythmicDeets: OMG we got #PhDChat trending in Australia! YEAH! :) 2/1/2012 9:50:02
Glenda_C_ RT @RhythmicDeets: Go along to ‘Shut Up & Write!’ groups – many Uni’s now host these. A great way to meet and buddy up with academics who have $$$. #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:50:05
thesiswhisperer @interactivate those partners hey? Someone should start a support group for the poor darlings #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:50:06
orientalhotel @annaegardner Your lead lecturer/department/colleagues should offer support. I think most grads start teaching w. v. little exp #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:50:10
RhythmicDeets RT @thesiswhisperer: Hey – we actually got #phdchat trending in Australia?! High five everyone! 2/1/2012 9:50:11
andanin @catspyjamasnz I like it! Will have to scribble down some ideas #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:50:14
tassie_gal @AnujaCabraal @thesiswhisperer @annaegardner @stealthpooch my PhD was in Ethics, not much in that way in Tassie_ #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:50:16
jazzlinguist @annaegardner I get the impression even with training teachers don’t feel confident. #phdchat Find a mentor though. 2/1/2012 9:50:20
stealthpooch Going straight from undergrad to phd wAPA made it easier money-wise. I felt so rich! It’d be hard to transfer from full time work #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:50:25
catspyjamasnz RT @thesiswhisperer: Hey – we actually got #phdchat trending in Australia?! High five everyone! <- *high fives* 2/1/2012 9:50:46
jasmine_z @melovell @stephentang aha, so much love! glad to know I’m not alone here in Canberra! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:50:51
_JamesFarrell @andanin @catspyjamasnz I’m at Waurn Ponds, and would be keen to be involved in some #shutupandwrite action… #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:50:53
kraontheroads @PJ_Weatherill #phdchat – i hear you but how do you find this opportunities? 2/1/2012 9:51:07
BronwynHinz I apply for every grant, ask for every discount, work at & beyond uni in related fields & get extra tips from http://t.co/NVb93R2a #Phdchat 2/1/2012 9:51:10
thesiswhisperer @annaegardner check the staff professional development program for courses. If you are at an ATN uni there’s a free online course #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:51:11
BoredPostdoc Ok, I’m out. Time to go beat up a punching bag at the gym #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:51:36
interactivate @witty_knitter TBH, the whole idea of me doing a PhD was only feasible after partner secured well-paid permanent job. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:51:38
AnujaCabraal @annaegardner @thesiswhisperer @stealthpooch @tassie_gal If it’s your 1st time tutoring, normally they train you before you start #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:51:49
waginski RT @thesiswhisperer: Hey – we actually got #phdchat trending in Australia?! High five everyone! 2/1/2012 9:51:57
catspyjamasnz @_JamesFarrell @andanin excellent. DM me yr emails… :-) #shutupandwrite #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:52:03
JoClyne1 Remember that phd students have something rare to offer: flexibility! It makes for a very desirable employee. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:52:09
stealthpooch @AnujaCabraal @tassie_gal @thesiswhisperer @annaegardner yep, I work in a museum in addition to teaching #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:52:17
tassie_gal @annaegardner @thesiswhisperer @stealthpooch @anujacabraal some Unis will offer courses or even a Grad Cert in Higher Ed. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:52:19
halften @stealthpooch Haha yes! APA is the most money I’ve ever known. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:52:28
thesiswhisperer @BoredPostdoc thanks for helping us get trending! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:52:44
bjkraal @interactivate that was my situation, too, when I was doing my phd. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:52:45
anzachistorian RT @thesiswhisperer: @interactivate those partners hey? Someone should start a support group for the poor darlings #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:52:59
PJ_Weatherill @kraontheroads Start with your super- then network around your dept- this time of the year Academics are looking for help #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:53:07
melovell @jasmine_z @stephentang Yes, nice to have some Canberra folk on here. :-) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:53:10
interactivate Does anyone have knowledge of getting teaching experience when you are in different state from your host Uni? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:53:31
thesiswhisperer We only have 8 minutes left on this #phdchat. Shall we summarise? What was the best thing you learned tonight? 2/1/2012 9:53:34
PippiLongsock @stealthpooch I transitioned from working, got a s/ship, and i can’t believe they give me so much $ to be self absorbed! #generous #PhDchat 2/1/2012 9:53:43
stephentang Unrelated to money (except where time = money): @zotero 3 is out today! MUCH better reference management than Endnote! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:53:58
jazzlinguist Well #PhDchat about money is making me thankful for all the opportunities I’ve had over the last 3 years. Too bad none’s left in my bank. 2/1/2012 9:54:13
PJ_Weatherill @tassie_gal and often schoalrship for fees if you are teaching. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:54:16
andanin @thesiswhisperer My poor lad is a PhD widow AND a roller derby widow. No idea how he copes with it all! #phdchat #tryagain 2/1/2012 9:54:27
thesiswhisperer @melovell @jasmine_z @stephentang I will be doing a workshop at ANU on March 7th – shall we tweet up? #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:54:33
Lozzz123 @tassie_gal @annaegardner @thesiswhisperer @stealthpooch @anujacabraal and if you’re staff (even casual) it’s free! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:55:06
PJ_Weatherill @interactivate I’m doing that …and teaching online. Check with your super. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:55:07
Airminded RT @thesiswhisperer: My best top for finding casual academic work: get to know the other casuals. They often have more than they can do #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:55:13
stealthpooch @annaegardner @thesiswhisperer @tassie_gal the 1st semester was scary! You need a good mentor. My mentor was unofficial #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:55:15
RhythmicDeets If you are a Brisbane PhD Student needing support, please DM me. I’ll send you details about ‘Shut Up and Write! Brisbane’ #SUaWBNE #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:55:29
tassie_gal @thesiswhisperer Summary – ASK for money, Document illnesses and ALWAYS show your student card. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:55:40
FabianoDalpiaz RT @profserious: Remember if you leave it more than a fortnight your supervisor may well have forgotten what you discussed. #phdchat http://t.co/cmwhn5nj 2/1/2012 9:55:45
thesiswhisperer @stephentang @zotero and @ScrivenerApp is the most awesome word processing software ever #blatantplug #unpaidendorsement #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:55:51
beckyheaver RT @thesiswhisperer: Hey – we actually got #phdchat trending in Australia?! High five everyone! 2/1/2012 9:56:05
melovell @andanin Ha, you should give that boy a medal! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:56:06
kraontheroads @PJ_Weatherill well seems Austrian academics is a bit different in this regards
#phdchat … no fundings for that
2/1/2012 9:56:09
jasmine_z @thesiswhisperer #phdchat Superficially, 1.PhD students are cash strapped and innovative when it comes to money making.2.We are not alone!:) 2/1/2012 9:56:18
Tomi_Ola RT @GdnHigherEd: Will blogging about your research hamper your chances of getting published? Interesting Q on #HElivechat http://t.co/MKnlX5Pb #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:56:22
thesiswhisperer @andanin we need a prize for best partner. I nominate Mr Thesiswhisperer :-) #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:56:34
interactivate @PJ_Weatherill cool. How far in are you? Today is my 1st anniversary so should probs stop thinking like a newbie! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:56:36
catspyjamasnz @thesiswhisperer i can give an AMEN on that @scrivenerapp endorsement #unpaidendorsement #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:56:40
witty_knitter I agree about finding a mentor. And don’t forget to use your sup for contacts as much as you can. It’s part of their job. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:56:56
thesiswhisperer RT @tassie_gal: @thesiswhisperer Summary – ASK for money, Document illnesses and ALWAYS show your student card. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:56:56
stealthpooch @AnujaCabraal @annaegardner @thesiswhisperer @tassie_gal after a year, I got free enrolment in the uni’s grad cert in uni teaching #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:57:03
jasmine_z @thesiswhisperer @melovell @stephentang #phdchat sounds good!! 2/1/2012 9:57:04
HelenHickson @thesiswhisperer My fav tips: 1. Follow the grant. 2 Teaching online. 3 Offer to help at conference for cheap fees. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:57:07
LouiseABoyd @thesiswhisperer is the #phdchat tag only for Australians? I’ve been following from Scotland. Nice to know others have same issues. 2/1/2012 9:57:11
thesiswhisperer RT @jasmine_z: @thesiswhisperer #phdchat Superficially, 1.PhD students are cash strapped and innovative when it comes to money making.2.We are not alone!:) 2/1/2012 9:57:17
PJ_Weatherill Remember to appreciate the scholarship and teaching networks – am happy to share them with anyone from ECU/Perth #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:57:26
andanin @melovell hehe, I think the cooking and giving hugs every chance I get makes up for it in some small part! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:57:28
thesiswhisperer RT @RhythmicDeets: If you are a Brisbane PhD Student needing support, please DM me. I’ll send you details about ‘Shut Up and Write! Brisbane’ #SUaWBNE #PhDChat 2/1/2012 9:57:39
melovell #phdchat summary: Being poor kinda sucks. One day we’ll have munnys.;-) 2/1/2012 9:57:44
andanin @thesiswhisperer they would all tie, me thinks. Must require some measure of madness #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:57:56
witty_knitter @thesiswhisperer I nominate @sandrahw. You knew I’d say that. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:58:03
kmjgardiner RT @thesiswhisperer: My best top for finding casual academic work: get to know the other casuals. They often have more than they can do #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:58:09
stephentang @jasmine_z @thesiswhisperer @melovell Agreed – I’m in! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:58:09
anzachistorian @thesiswhisperer Tips re research assistant work, volunteering at conferences. May be silly, but hadn’t previously considered. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:58:11
ai1sa @LouiseABoyd welcome louise, I am sure we are not exclusionary- i always join the original #phdchat also 2/1/2012 9:58:19
RhythmicDeets @thesiswhisperer Bring same innovative/creative approach 2 earning $ + designing research. Lots of $$$ if you look in right places. #phDChat 2/1/2012 9:58:23
Tomi_Ola RT @annaegardner This is genius! #phdchat RT @Glinner: Thanks to @juliangough 4 recommending ‘Write Or Die’. VERY nice http://t.co/RvJwUV9q 2/1/2012 9:58:27
andanin Truth RT @melovell: #phdchat summary: Being poor kinda sucks. One day we’ll have munnys.;-) 2/1/2012 9:58:33
musicforbabes @thesiswhisperer Best thing I learned tonight: Ask for a fee waiver/discount when traveling to os conferences. Brilliant. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:58:36
catspyjamasnz @thesiswhisperer summary: i need to do some grant finding & writing. and prob best off doing that w established academic… #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:58:37
thesiswhisperer @RhythmicDeets second that. Shut up and write great place to learn ‘tips of the trade’ to surviving in academia #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:58:44
annaegardner All this discussion of mentoring/training/interacting with staff/other students is so alien to my phd experience. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:58:45
Glenda_C_ @LouiseABoyd @thesiswhisperer awesome to know this is happening across multiple timezones #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:58:54
thesiswhisperer RT @anzachistorian: @thesiswhisperer Tips re research assistant work, volunteering at conferences. May be silly, but hadn’t previously considered. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:58:58
soilduck @jasmine_z @melovell @stephentang hello fellow Canberra #phdchat ers! Sorry missed the tweetup! 2/1/2012 9:59:09
thesiswhisperer RT @melovell: #phdchat summary: Being poor kinda sucks. One day we’ll have munnys.;-) 2/1/2012 9:59:25
PJ_Weatherill @thesiswhisperer thanks for organising #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:59:29
thesiswhisperer @PJ_Weatherill thanks – really appreciate your help #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:59:44
kmjgardiner @thesiswhisperer Recommend Mendeley for PDF annotation. Evernote wonderful notes and organising tool. #PhDchat 2/1/2012 9:59:47
thesiswhisperer RT @HelenHickson: @thesiswhisperer My fav tips: 1. Follow the grant. 2 Teaching online. 3 Offer to help at conference for cheap fees. #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:59:49
Glenda_C_ RT @thesiswhisperer: @RhythmicDeets second that. Shut up and write great place to learn ‘tips of the trade’ to surviving in academia #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:59:51
andanin #phdchat lesson learnt: I’m not the only one who had a struggle to find funding o/ 2/1/2012 9:59:56
UWSELink RT @ana_adi: New Round of Newton International Fellowships (early career researchers for UK research) #phdchat http://t.co/mVdmEbdE 2/1/2012 9:59:57
tassie_gal @annaegardner it was alien to mine to, but I got there! It is possible honest! #phdchat 2/1/2012 9:59:59
waginski @thesiswhisperer that keeping up with #phdchat is almost as difficult as keeping up with a lab conversation. 2/1/2012 10:00:07
halften @thesiswhisperer sick leave! I feel like an idiot for not taking any when I still had my APA #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:00:14
melovell @soilduck Good to see you nonetheless. #phdchat @jasmine_z @stephentang 2/1/2012 10:00:16
Nicky_Garland RT @HelenHickson: @thesiswhisperer My fav tips: 1. Follow the grant. 2 Teaching online. 3 Offer to help at conference for cheap fees. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:00:17
thesiswhisperer @LouiseABoyd anyone can #phdchat anytime – this is just an Oz / NZ friendly time for a live chat 2/1/2012 10:00:21
everythingreal @thesiswhisperer : The biggest problem accdg to me is not enough opportunities/scholarships for International students +hiked fees. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:00:26
PJ_Weatherill @interactivate half way mark (If I finish on time). Newbie feeling still hasnt gone!
#phdchat
2/1/2012 10:00:32
catspyjamasnz tx @thesiswhisperer for organising 1st oz/nz #phdchat. nice to meet you all :-) 2/1/2012 10:00:32
melovell RT @musicforbabes: @thesiswhisperer Best thing I learned tonight: Ask for a fee waiver/discount when traveling to os conferences. Brilliant. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:00:37
thesiswhisperer @soilduck @jasmine_z @melovell @stephentang we trended! go #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:00:45
interactivate +1 – pity I forgot it was happening till halfway thru! RT @PJ_Weatherill: @thesiswhisperer thanks for organising #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:00:51
beckyheaver RT @HelenHickson: @thesiswhisperer My fav tips: 1. Follow the grant. 2 Teaching online. 3 Offer to help at conference for cheap fees. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:01:04
thesiswhisperer I hate to break up the party, but that’s 9pm and the first live #phdchat is over. I hope you all enjoyed! 2/1/2012 10:01:27
Ivalaine @thesiswhisperer @victoriandotage @andanin lol #phdchat never met a phd by research in science who did less than 40hrs/wk 2/1/2012 10:01:31
stealthpooch @LouiseABoyd not at all! We’re just borrowing #phdchat for the night 2/1/2012 10:01:36
melovell Thanks @thesiswhisperer for organising #phdchat. 2/1/2012 10:01:48
witty_knitter @halften also, APAs have annual leave built it. Not a lot of people know that.. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:02:00
tassie_gal #phdchat – I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is worth it at the end (from someone who graduated last Dec). 2/1/2012 10:02:13
everythingreal @thesiswhisperer : Unless fully funded by family or company, internationals have little chance in managing to fund themselves. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:02:18
kraontheroads @thesiswhisperer thx for getting us together ;) #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:02:19
RhythmicDeets A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! RT if you agree! 2/1/2012 10:02:28
melovell Ok, better get back to work. Nice to meet you all. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:02:32
jasmine_z @thesiswhisperer #phdchat thanks for organising! was much fun, and a good break! 2/1/2012 10:02:34
andanin @Ivalaine @thesiswhisperer Um, Hi *waves* I do <40hrs, and am ahead of schedule. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:02:38
HelenHickson @thesiswhisperer Thanks for organising. It’s been mad, but very helpful for me. Great to connect with others too. Cheers #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:03:02
tassie_gal RT @RhythmicDeets: A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! RT if you agree! 2/1/2012 10:03:14
kmjgardiner +1 RT @melovell: Thanks @thesiswhisperer for organising #phdchat. 2/1/2012 10:03:17
stealthpooch @thesiswhisperer thanks for organising! It’s nice to see such a big community of Oz RHD twitterers #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:03:20
thesiswhisperer @interactivate thanks for joining in – there will be an archive of tweets available I think #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:03:26
clairedavisonAU RT @RhythmicDeets: A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:03:37
andanin RT @RhythmicDeets: A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! RT if you agree! 2/1/2012 10:03:43
jazzlinguist Thanks @thesiswhisperer and co for my first live #phdchat. Tweet you later! Wishing you words in your thesis and $ in the bank. 2/1/2012 10:03:45
anzachistorian Thanks to all Australian and Kiwi #phdchat-ers tonight, especially @thesiswhisperer for organising! 2/1/2012 10:03:57
PippiLongsock RT @RhythmicDeets: A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! RT if you agree! 2/1/2012 10:03:58
stephentang Thanks @thesiswhisperer! Now get back to writing, everyone! :) #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:04:03
witty_knitter @everythingreal I’ve known a couple of people who’ve done it, working long hours. They both completed. One US one from Zimbabwe #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:04:13
Glenda_C_ RT @RhythmicDeets: A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! RT if you agree! 2/1/2012 10:04:27
lizith looks like a brilliant start to the different time zone #phdchat great to lurk and learn 2/1/2012 10:04:31
HelenHickson @witty_knitter I wondered about that. Is it paid annual leave? I will definately check it out! Thanks for the tip. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:04:36
witty_knitter Yay for @thesiswhisperer! #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:04:38
anzachistorian RT @RhythmicDeets: A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! RT if you agree! 2/1/2012 10:04:42
waginski @thesiswhisperer thanks for getting the ball rolling. It’s rad to have a #phdchat for us southern hemisphere folk =] 2/1/2012 10:04:48
Glenda_C_ RT @jazzlinguist: Thanks @thesiswhisperer and co for my first live #phdchat. Tweet you later! Wishing you words in your thesis and $ in the bank. 2/1/2012 10:04:48
thesiswhisperer @clairedavisonAU @RhythmicDeets *blushing* #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:04:57
JoClyne1 RT @RhythmicDeets: A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! RT if you agree! 2/1/2012 10:05:32
soilduck RT @HelenHickson: @thesiswhisperer My fav tips: 1. Follow the grant. 2 Teaching online. 3 Offer to help at conference for cheap fees. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:05:34
soilduck +1 _@witty_knitter: Yay for @thesiswhisperer! #phdchat_ 2/1/2012 10:06:03
LouiseABoyd @Glenda_C_ @thesiswhisperer It is now 10am over here, so I was eating breakfast while following #phdchat whilst you are heading to bed soon! 2/1/2012 10:06:35
RobMax4 RT @thesiswhisperer: Hey – we actually got #phdchat trending in Australia?! High five everyone! 2/1/2012 10:06:41
cdtavijit RT @RhythmicDeets: A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! RT if you agree! 2/1/2012 10:06:43
kraontheroads _second RT @jazzlinguist: thx @thesiswhisperer and co for my 1st live #phdchat Wishing you words in your thesis and $ in the bank._ 2/1/2012 10:07:01
cuteboyjoe #PhDchat I AM DR KOLADE I HAVE A PhD, YOU WILL LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY. YOUR OPINION IS INVALID. 2/1/2012 10:07:05
soilduck RT @tassie_gal: #phdchat – I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is worth it at the end (from someone who graduated last Dec). 2/1/2012 10:07:25
andanin @annaegardner @thesiswhisperer Careful with hospitality, esp night shifts in bars. You lose days readjusting, esp after weekends #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:07:41
LouiseABoyd @thesiswhisperer Thanks, good to know. I’ve just started my PhD but been following your blog and finding it comforting. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:07:45
everythingreal @witty_knitter : yes but why make it so difficult for us you know :( most scholarships are limited to locals. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:08:05
debyy RT @RhythmicDeets: A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! RT if you agree! 2/1/2012 10:08:35
sangaPhD RT @RhythmicDeets: Time for some humour! :) http://t.co/rQavjUPP #PhDChat 2/1/2012 10:08:51
RhythmicDeets This weeks revised aim: To write as much in my PhD as I have in tonight’s #PhDChat forum on Twitter! :) 2/1/2012 10:09:24
soilduck totally! MT @witty_knitter: find a mentor. And don’t forget to use your sup for contacts as much as you can. It’s their job. #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:09:28
beckyheaver @lizith Yeah some really interesting stuff on #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:10:12
rellypops RT @RhythmicDeets: A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! RT if you agree! 2/1/2012 10:10:27
thesiswhisperer @LouiseABoyd that’s what it’s there for :-) I will be in scotland in April. Looking forward to it! #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:10:32
andanin Ditto! RT @RhythmicDeets: This weeks revised aim: To write as much in my PhD as I have in tonight’s #PhDChat forum on Twitter! :) 2/1/2012 10:11:02
musicforbabes RT @RhythmicDeets: A giant #high5 to @thesiswhisperer for organising the inaugural #PhDChat in Australasia! It was awesome! RT if you agree! 2/1/2012 10:11:10
moralcoral #phdchat Surviving your PhD http://t.co/lfK3zv3x 2/1/2012 10:11:47
thesiswhisperer Now I have to rest my fingers and watch TV with Mr Thesis Whisperer. Catch you all on the flipside! #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:11:49
whereisdaz @Ivalaine hours of post-doc usually far exceed 40hrs/wk. PI even worse @thesiswhisperer @victoriandotage @andanin #phdchat 2/1/2012 10:12:26
stealthpooch +1 RT @RhythmicDeets This weeks revised aim: To write as much in my PhD as I have in tonight’s #PhDChat forum on Twitter! :) 2/1/2012 10:12:30
rellypops @thesiswhisperer Great AU/NZ #phdchat – ripper convo & tips. Thankyou I :) 2/1/2012 10:12:34

It was superb. Keep your eyes on for more live PhDchat meetup in the future!

About Avijit Paul

I am a PhD student at Queensland University of Technology, Australia. My primary field of work is in analyzing and making sense of ‘big data’ generated from Social Networks during crisis events. As my work involves design and programming, I constantly switch between these two areas. On top of that I am also interested in business and founded couple of startups. Please visit about me page from the top menu to learn more about me.

Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!

Read previous post:
speed-writing
Quick academic writing tips

In this Work in Progress post I share some tips on how to write quickly since we often do not...